Are you comparing MOTTIV vs. Trainingpeaks?
MOTTIV and Trainingpeaks are two of the best choices for endurance athletes looking for a training program to help them prepare for their races.
Each app offers online training plans, but the type of athlete they’re best for differs.
The main difference between MOTTIV and Trainingpeaks is that Trainingpeaks is best for athletes who want a lot of performance data while working with a personal coach or functioning as their own coach. MOTTIV is much better for athletes who want to train for multiple races without having a coach or without knowing how to create training plans themselves.
In this article, we’ll discuss all the pros and cons of MOTTIV and Trainingpeaks. We’ll answer the following questions you might have:
- What are the main features of MOTTIV and Trainingpeaks?
- What are the pros and cons of MOTTIV and Trainingpeaks?
- How much do MOTTIV and Trainingpeaks cost?
- Are MOTTIV and Trainingpeaks good for beginners?
- What athletes should consider MOTTIV vs. Trainingpeaks?
MOTTIV vs. Trainingpeaks Summary
MOTTIV is an app that can be used on the web or via their mobile (smartphone) app. It creates a personalized training plan for athletes looking to prepare for any combination of triathlon training (for all distances from IRONMAN and 70.3 to Sprint and Olympic triathlon), running races (marathon, half marathon, Ultra marathon, 5k and 10k), cycling events, duathlons, and swimruns.
Athletes simply need to enter the dates and distances of their races, how much time they’re able to train, and their current fitness abilities, and they’ll receive a personalized training plan that gets them ready for all of their races at the same time.
Of course, we’re biased, but we believe MOTTIV excels at keeping athletes on track to reach their goals. Getting a training plan is one thing, but having the support and motivation to stick to that plan is far more important. MOTTIV keeps you motivated throughout whatever you're training for, so you always know you’re on track and your goals are within reach.
Compared to Trainingpeaks, MOTTIV is much more friendly for athletes who want a training plan to guide them without having to know about training themselves or working with a 1-on-1 coach. MOTTIV is also cheaper than Trainingpeaks once you account for the cost of every single training plan.
MOTTIV’s customized training plans, which include strength, mobility, and nutrition guidance, are also much more cohesive than Trainingpeaks plans, where you have to piece together these additional, important aspects of training yourself.
- Ease of use: MOTTIV is designed for athletes who want a training plan that’s done for them and easy to follow. All you need to do is input a little bit of data, then be ready to show up willing to work and follow the plan every day you have training scheduled.
- Unlimited training plans: Whether you have one race or 20 races to train for, MOTTIV can create a training plan that prepares you for all of them. Premium members can add as many races as they want at no additional cost.
- Strength & Mobility: MOTTIV strength and mobility workouts are full-length videos you can follow along with to make sure you’re doing everything correctly.
- Nutrition guidance: Eating the right thing before, during, and after your workouts will make every workout you complete much more effective. Every workout in the MOTTIV app has nutrition recommendations that are personalized to you.
- Progress stats: MOTTIV tracks and displays all your workout and progress stats. You don’t need to learn how to work the app or where to find stats to track your progress. MOTTIV easily shows you if you’re headed in the right direction.
- Motivation: MOTTIV has some really excellent features that help keep you on track with your training plan because we all need a little support sometimes.
- Cost: MOTTIV provides all your endurance training, strength training, mobility training, personalized workout nutrition, and stats tracking, all in one place for one flat fee. Getting all these services separately would cost well over $60/month.
- Workout complexity: Some people find our workouts can be hard to understand when they first start using the app.
- Device connections: Although you can see all the device connections we support here (including a direct connection with Garmin Connect, as well as connections to Zwift, TP, Strava, and more, our list of possible connections isn’t as robust as Trainingpeaks.
- Lack of flexibility: While most people want a training plan they can follow, some want one they can customize to add and subtract workouts as they see fit. MOTTIV is designed for you to follow along as closely as possible.
- Slow interface: MOTTIV hasn’t been around for as long as Trainingpeaks, so some screens take a couple of extra seconds to load because app optimization is still in progress.
MOTTIV Ease of Use
MOTTIV is designed to be the easiest app for endurance athletes to use. All you need to enter to create a personalized training plan are your race dates and distances, how much time you can train, and your current fitness abilities.
In addition to it being easy to create training plans, the MOTTIV app has features that tell you why and how to perform every aspect of your training, so you’re never left guessing.
Who is MOTTIV Best For?
MOTTIV is best for athletes looking for a holistic training plan that includes: endurance workouts, strength training, mobility workouts, and nutrition guidance.
If you are the type of person who wants to know what to do and get a little help to know that you’re on track and doing everything right, then MOTTIV is for you.
- Free plan
- Paid: $19.99/month, $179.99/year
TrainingPeaks is an app that can be used on the web or in their mobile application. It provides training tools for endurance athletes and their coaches. Athletes can create their own training plans from scratch, purchase template training plans, or work with a coach who will create their workouts in the Trainingpeaks app.
Athletes can connect their fitness devices to download workout data to their devices, and their workout data will be imported into Trainingpeaks, where users can review their workout stats and track their training progress.
Compared to MOTTIV, Trainingpeaks connects with more fitness devices and provides more workout data. Trainingpeaks is also a much better option for athletes who want to work with a coach because there are thousands of 1-1 coaches you can choose from on Trainingpeaks.
- Connections: Trainingpeaks connects directly to more fitness devices and other apps than any training app on the market. If you want to synchronize your fitness data with a less popular fitness device (like Coros or Suunto, for example), Trainingpeaks will work for you.
- Fitness data: Premium Trainingpeaks users can get a huge amount of performance data when they synchronize their fitness devices. Coaches love the ability to get almost any fitness metric they can imagine.
- Training plan options: Athletes can purchase training plans .by tens of thousands of coaches from around the world who have uploaded template training plans for any event you can think of
- Free version: Athletes don’t get much for free on Trainingpeaks. Athletes can not get a training plan created without paying for it, and the stats that free users can track are very limited.
- Cost: To get many of the progress-tracking features people want to monitor, athletes need to be on a paid plan. In addition, athletes must purchase almost all training plans, which cost an average of $75 for four months of training.
- Ease of Use: Trainingpeaks isn’t very self-serve. You typically need to learn how to work the intricacies of the app to get the training plans to work for you.
- Training plans: One of the biggest cons of Trainingpeaks is that if you purchase multiple training plans for a full season of racing, the training plans will conflict with each other. You may end up with workouts from four different training plans all on the same day, and not have any guidance on how to train for multiple races at one time.
- Training personalization: Training plans are based on templates, and while many training plans allow for some level of personalization, they’re still generic templates.
- Holistic training: many training plans in Trainingpeaks won’t have strength workouts, mobility workouts, or workout nutrition advice. These added aspects of training are critical for keeping you healthy and allowing you to get the most from your training.
- Motivation: Trainingpeaks doesn’t have many features that keep athletes on track and motivated to reach their goals.
Trainingpeaks Ease of Use
Trainingpeaks is designed primarily for coaches to manage their athletes, so it’s not designed to be a self-serve app that you can easily use on your own.
Athletes who like learning about training and designing their training plans will like learning how to use Trainingpeaks, but athletes who just want a training plan that’s done for them will have a lot to learn to get comfortable using the app.
Who is Trainingpeaks Best For?
Trainingpeaks is an excellent app for athletes working with a 1-on-1 endurance sports coach or self-coached athletes who want to dive into all the data they possibly can want from their training.
- Free: limited features
- Paid: $19.95/month, $49/quarter, or $124.99/year
- Training plans: $75/four months (on average)
MOTTIV vs. Trainingpeaks: Which One is Better?
When comparing Trainingpeaks and MOTTIV, the answer to which one is better is like most things: it depends.
If you have a larger budget and you like figuring out training on your own, you have a coach, and diving into your training as deep as possible is important, then Trainingpeaks is right for you.
If you’re looking for a holistic training plan app that can create a personalized training plan for multiple races at a time, and keeps you motivated to stay on track to reach your goals, then MOTTIV is the app for you.